100% sustainable wine checklist launched at The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Friday, September 02, 2022.
100% sustainable wine checklist released at Wilde’s at The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Wilde’s, the fantastic eating cafe at The Lodge at Ashford Castle has introduced a new wine record featuring only environmentally friendly, sustainably generated wines from all around the world.
The 100 label wine checklist has been produced to aid visionary winemakers who treatment about the natural environment and 92% are labeled organic and natural, biodynamic and/or natural.
A substantial enterprise spanning several months, Wilde’s wine record has been created by restaurant supervisor, Ervin Vamoser and sommelier supervisor, Joseph Meyer and in accordance to Ervin, Wilde’s is amongst the initial, if not the initial restaurant in Eire to current a wine checklist completely that includes eco-friendly, sustainably developed wines.
It has been especially established to align with the menu philosophy at Wilde’s, which showcases regional, natural and organic make and uses components grown and foraged on the Ashford Estate in Cong, Co Mayo.
The list is replete with independent wineries featuring wines created by men and women that care about the surroundings and who can mature ideal good quality grapes without the need of the use of artifical alternatives such as chemical substances, pesticides or high doses of sulphites.
The wine makers
Some of the extremely respected, family members-owned or more compact winemakers on Wilde’s record contain: Sébastien Riffault and Vincent Girardin (France) Andreas Tscheppe and Strohmeier (Austria) Sinead & Liam Cabot and Roka Laski (Slovenia) Trossen (Germany) Denis Križ (Croatia) Luis Canas and Familia Castaño (Spain) Nieoport Wines (Portugal), Cullen Wines (Australia) and of course, Bouchard Finlayson, which is solely bought in Eire at The Lodge at Ashford and sister lodge, Ashford Castle.
Bouchard Finlayson places sustainability at the heart of its operations: the farm’s 25 hectares of winery account for just 20% of the estate, with the relaxation established apart for conservation. Found in the internationally acclaimed wine area of Walker Bay in the Western Cape, highlights from the Bouchard Finlayson collection at Wilde’s include:
Blanc de Mer: Mostly Riesling and Viognier alongside with Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin Blanc (€46)
- Crocodile’s Lair: 100% Chardonnay, developed in the Elands Kloof valley, an location with a special micro-weather generating chardonnay of distinct high quality (€58)
- Hannibal: 30% Sangiovese, 35% Pinot Noir, 10% Nebbiolo, 9% Shiraz, 3% Mourvèdre and 4% Barbera, total of character with lots of black berries, with hints of earthy, smoky spices (€95)
Sparkling wines & Champagnes
The group at Wilde’s has picked a fantastic selection of natural, natural and/or biodynamic classic and modest grower Champagnes and glowing wines from all over the entire world ranging in cost from €50 for a bottle of Barbabolla, Marcobarba, Gambellara, Italy to €680 for the Louis Roederer, Cristal.
Our cup of tea – recent favourites
Wilde’s Ervin Vamoser and Joseph Meyer have personalised the wine listing to involve their very own current favourites that are equally exciting and various and involve:
- Madonna dei Fiori, Emilia Romagna, Italy, 2020: 100% Albana with wonderful acidity but also a clean, pretty much buttery facet (€46)
- Vincent Girardin, Cuvée Saint Vincent, Bourgogne France, 2020 : 100% Pinot Noir with an sophisticated nose and aromas of blackcurrant, raspberry and strawberry (€80)
- Château de la Roulerie, Coteaux du Layon, France, 2018: 100% Chenin Blanc, a typical sweet wine that brings together aromas of extremely ripe fruit and notes of citrus peel with hints of exotic wood and tobacco (€70)
The listing also includes orange wines such as Borgo Savaian di Bastiani Stefano, Friuli, Italy 2020, a mix of de-stemmed Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc fermented on the skins and macerated for about 90 times to get a beautiful Sherry-like orange color (€48).
The new wine record at Wilde’s can be viewed Listed here
The wine checklist is arranged by wine model and each wine capabilities a natural, natural and/or biodynamic symbol highlighting:
- Purely natural: wines with negligible or no extra sulphites
- Organic: wines generated in accordance to the concepts of natural farming
- Biodynamic: wines made in accordance to the rules of biodynamic agriculture
About The Lodge at Ashford
The Lodge at Ashford Castle is portion of the Crimson Carnation Hotel Assortment that is owned by the Tollman spouse and children, which also owns the Bouchard Finlayson winery, collaboratively operate by Victoria Tollman and Peter Finlayson.
The 4-star country hotel sits inside 350 acres of correctly manicured grounds on the Ashford Castle Estate in Cong, Co Mayo. Steeped in heritage, The Lodge dates back again to 1865 when it was at first built as the residence of Ashford Castle’s Estate Supervisor through the Guinness family’s possession of the Ashford Estate.
Telephone: +353 94 954 5400